Moving to a different place is undoubtedly exciting! New home,new friends and independence; What more could you ask for?!
This inevitably wears off soon though,and you will find yourself craving for your mother’s cooking or you’ll miss sleeping in your own bed as well as your family and friends. This emotional rollercoaster is what we call homesickness.
I’ve had my fair share of dealing with homesickness (If you’ve read my first blog post, you’d understand) now that I’ve left my beautiful home for college. It gets tough at times but the good news is you get used to it! And, it happens to everyone.
Here are a few helpful tips to help you get through this:
- If you have family around, visit often! Not only will be surrounded by people who care about you, but you’ll also get some really nice home food as well.
- Keep yourself busy. It’ll help those feelings of missing home go away for a while. So if you’ve got as assignment to work on or if you’re in the process of moving in,don’t save it for later to mope around instead.
- Get good comfort food and movies. Yup, get out your favorite ice cream (Bavarian Chocolate perhaps?) and an awesome movie, snuggle in bed and relax.
- Go out with friends! Friends are a great remedy to help you feel less homesick. You’ll be too busy having a great time to think about it.
- If at a point you feel that you can’t take it anymore, call your parents and let it all out. If anyone can make you feel better, they can.
If these tips don’t seem to be helping,here are some links to ensure you make it through this tough time:
Homesickness does suck without a doubt. It’s fairly normal so, don’t get worried about feeling like sobbing in your pillow every now and then. We’re all there with you!
Like I said earlier,I’ve been through this too,so don’t hesitate to message/email me if you just need someone to talk to 🙂